Re: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's

To: ame@synaptics.com
Subject: Re: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:10:55 -0600
ame@synaptics.com wrote:

> I am putting together the parts for my front hub replacement.  I have two new
>WW
> hubs, I have two bearing kits (comprising inner, outer and oil seal), I have a
> selection of shim washers.
>
> Is it likely I can reuse the oil seal collar?  This is the piece that is
>pressed
> onto the stub axle.

Yes. Just don't get it on backwards.

> Any and all advice appreciated,

How about the old shim argument? There seems to be two rules of thought:

Rule #1: Always rebuild the car exactly like they say in the manual because
that's
the way it was always meant to be no matter what even if it doesn't seem to
make any
sense.

To wit: Those damn shims. There was a long thread quite awhile back where one
opinionated, sarcastic, and cynical fellow questioned the use of shims. If I
remember how that was concluded, the idea was to use a micrometer to measure the
distance between the seating surfaces for the sides of the inner and outer
bearings.
Then use the micrometer to measure the thickness of the bearing spacer (the fat
heavy thing). The difference is the thickness in shims you should use. You
might err
a RCH towards too little so the castellated nut can cinch the inner races up a
skoosh.

It is important to get all of this figured out before you grease up the
bearings as
it will be impossible to accurately measure the distance once greased and there
will
be no "feel" of proper installation.

Rule #2: Join the 90's; toss the shims. That is, modern tapered bearings are
meant
to have some side loading so omit the shims, grease everything up real good, and
tighten down the castellated nut good and hard like you do on American cars.
Then
back up at least one quarter until a hole aligns for the cotter pin.

The crotchety individual mentioned above claims that no harm will be done and
that
seems to be the case in the last 10,000 miles of driving.

I do know that too many shims will induce a pretty good wobble at highway
speeds.
Hence the origin of the term "shimmy."
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody