Re: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 19:51:24 -0500
> > I am putting together the parts for my front hub replacement.  I have two
>new WW
> > hubs, I have two bearing kits (comprising inner, outer and oil seal), I
>have a
> > selection of shim washers.
> >
> > Is it likely I can reuse the oil seal collar?  This is the piece that is
>pressed
> > onto the stub axle.
>
> Yes. Just don't get it on backwards.

Use the origninal setup.
1)  Clean the bearings and other parts.
2)  Sort your shims from thickest to thinest.
3)  Remove the old races and install the new ones in the hub (large hammer and a
carefully placed drift).  Install the seal.
4)  Assemble the hub onto the spindle with no shims (and no grease), spin the
hub while
gently tightening the axle nut.
5)  If the hub binds (resists spinning) remove the axle nut and add a shim.
6)  Repeat step 5 until adding the smallest shim allows the hub to spin while
removing
it causes the hub to bind.
7)  Disassembly the hub and pack the bearing with bearing grease
8)  Reassemble the parts using the shim arrangement from step 6.
9)  Repeat on the other side.