Re: Re[2]: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's

To: ame@synaptics.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: MGB Front Wheel Bearing Q's
From: Rick Jennings <ahhclem@kcnet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 21:06:22 -0600
At 05:35 PM 3/2/98 Pst, ame@synaptics.com wrote:
>     No, I didn't mean the oil seal (I have a new one), I mean the oil seal
>     collar.  This is fitted to the stub axle before putting the hub on,
>     and of course if I am reusing it all I do is leave it there.  It is
>     shown in the Porter book, p179, photo HDP10.
>
>     If I have to get a new one it's $20 (per side!), but I'd like to have
>     it to hand if it turns out I'm going to have to replace it...
>
>     Andy
>

>_Go to a local import mechanic and ask for a price to repack the
bearings.Mention the possibility of shimming for proper endfloat. If he's
clueless open your
Haynes manual and read along. $50 or less, sign the paper and run. $51 to $100
your choice but having done this once from scratch (no idea of shim quantity
or sizes prior to bearing removal) its worth $100 to save your weekend. Once
properly shimmed I've never had to add or remove any shims to get the
proper set
up.