Re: Happy Days are here again

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: Happy Days are here again
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 18:14:20 EST
On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:54:41 +0000 Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
writes:

>Not according to Vauxhall, apparently.  Watchdog (UK TV consumer
>program)
>reported that quite a few people (only women were featured,
>interestingly) are
>having trouble with valves coking up on new 16v engines.  Vauxhalls
>response was
>'You are not driving the cars hard enough and you shouldn't use
>supermarket fuel'.
>I wonder how much development time is devoted to the typical
>'pottering a few miles
>across town to work once a day and back' and the 'once yearly fully
>laden thrash
>down the M6 to Cornwall and back' as opposed to race tracks, deserts
>and Arctic.
>Not nearly as interesting, I suppose.
>
>PaulH.

Interesting - A friend of mine has a brother who works for land rover -
they send the cars all over the world to test them in ice, snow, deserts
- all manner of trials, tests and evaluations driving them to their
limits.
 Then they send some to the dealer in Darien CT where they get used to
take the kids to school, get the shopping, sit in traffic on I95 etc - my
friends brother told me that the best test would actually be to see if
they can idle for 20 mins in a supermarket car park without stalling as
thats about as much action as most of the cars see!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster