Re: electronic ignition

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 00:13:20 -0500
Jeff Boatright wrote:
> From that page, a quick rundown of the options: 'Some retain the original
> mechanical points

  ...you don't see many of these anymore.

> 1. Which products commonly available to the lbc crowd are what systems.
> I.e., what exactly is a Pertronix Ignitor or what is a Crane XR-700?

  Pertronix (my personal fave) is a hall effect device. The
Crane/Allison
(same unit) are optical.

  About the only difference in practice is that you can static time with
the optical ones, but not the hall effect ones. The system only detects
the magnet in the rotor going by it with motion, not just sitting near
it. It's
the cut in the magnetic field that it detects.

> 2. What are the experiences/opinions of the list with the various systems?

  I have one of each, and they both work fine. I prefer the Pertronix
though because it installs in minutes and is invisible in a running
car.

> 3. Where can one get the best deal on these systems?

  I got my Pertronix from Dick Burger (http://www.thebpc.com) without
trouble.

--
Trevor Boicey