RE: electronic ignition

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: electronic ignition
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:23:38 -0500
Jeff -

The Pertronix Ignitor and the Crane XR-700 are both kits to either (a)
convert a points-type distributor to electronic ignition, or (b) fix an
electronic dist. with a bad case of "toasted innards".  There are
differences, however:

The Pertronix fits entirely within the distributor (nice if original
appearance matters to you), while the Crane electronics sit in a separate
box (nice if you can locate a cooler place for the electronics than the
inside of the distributor).

The Pertronix uses hall-effect switches, while the Crane uses
optoelectronics.  No real difference in terms of operation, but the Crane
seems to be slightly more forgiving in terms of how the sensors are aligned
with the trigger.

Both are good solutions.  I suppose if I were to do it over again, I might
use the Pertronix for the sake of original appearance.

I've been running a Crane unit and a Lucas Sport coil for 10,000+
trouble-free miles.  The Crane units are sensitive to where the control box
is mounted, though.  Needs to be a (relatively) cool spot.  I've got mine
mounted on the top of the inner fender, just ahead of the wiper motor.
 Seems to stay cool enough there.

I actually bought mine at a local import-parts place.  Better price than
the "British-only" parts dealers.  You may want to look at "hotrod" shops
as well, since they usually carry Crane's whole product line.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net