Re: electronic ignition

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 21:24:09 -0800
I used the XR-700 on my B for a couple of years. After awhile, I would have
ignition failures very randomly. I deduced that the problem was with the
XR-700. I bought a new Eurospec Lucas distributor from Brit-Tek and have
never had another problem.
Craig Wiper

At 12:12 AM 3/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>It's time to tune the Sprite. Being very lazy (the real reason I never
>bother to put the top up), I am thinking about replacing the points with an
>electronic ignition. I know that there are several types and there is a
>nice treatise on this point at : http://www.prostar.com/web/rsinc/ign.htm
>
>>From that page, a quick rundown of the options: 'Some retain the original
>mechanical points whereas others replace the points with a magnetic
>"reluctor", a "hall effect" device or an optical system. These types of
>distributor driven triggers can be an input to a "TAI", a "CDI" or "MSD".
>These acronyms respectively stand for "Transistor Assisted
>Ignition","Capacitive Discharge Ignition" and "Multiple Spark Discharge"'
>
>My questions are:
>
>1. Which products commonly available to the lbc crowd are what systems.
>I.e., what exactly is a Pertronix Ignitor or what is a Crane XR-700?
>
>2. What are the experiences/opinions of the list with the various systems?
>
>3. Where can one get the best deal on these systems?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff
>
>Jeff Boatright   __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
>http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw