Re: Sedan?

To: chris@thames-language.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Sedan?
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:39:07 EST
Hi Chris,
  Though a term that is not used much, it's indeed valid.  Here's the
poop from Webster's New International, ninth edition, (the one recently
banned in some schools when they read the "F" word in it)
  n (1600) 1a: The strip of land over which a road passes  b: road,
specif:roadbed.
Interestingly, " Roadster, an automobile with an open body that seats two
and a folding fabric top and a luggage compartment in the rear" seems to
be an extension of the 1818 Roadster that was "a horse for riding or
driving upon roads"
Road Hog appeared first in 1891; Road test in 1906; Roadholding in 1932.
Bob