Re: Sedan?

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: Sedan?
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:18:41 EST
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:23:55 -0700 mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John
McEwen) writes:
>Hi Chris:
>
>In North America a saloon is a place to drink booze.  A sedan is a
>four
>door car.  The term has been corrupted over the past 30 years to mean
>all
>cars with two or four doors but not cars with "hardtop" or coupe
>styling.
>It's just another one of those annoying cross-Atlantic language
>problems.
>We don't call them wings we call them fenders - etc.etc.
>
>John McEwen
Well actually, "saloon" in England is also a place to drink - but you
have to understand British class structure.....until very recently most
pubs had two bars - usually with 2 distinct entrances - a "public" bar
which was usually a no frills affair with dart board, wooden chairs, no
carpet etc -  the booze was cheaper in here and considered for the
"working class" -
Then there was the "saloon" bar - more up market, usually carpet,
curtains, upholstered chairs - and nothing so vulgar as a dartboard! -
usually very dull!
the booze would be a few pennies more in here and was for "posh" people,
or blokes taking the "trouble n  strife" for a port and lemon - or for
blokes from the public bar who'd pulled a bird, were trying to impress
her and ruining their DTA ratio. - still with me??

Sedan comes from "sedan chair" which was one of those 18th century boxes
that the nobility sat in and had a couple of minions carry all over
town.....

Now - does anyone want to get into "postillion"?

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster