Re: British Automotive, and Tappet Covers.

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: British Automotive, and Tappet Covers.
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:47:00 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> Art Pfenninger wrote:
> >
> > Well you are right it's not cheap but... how much would a shop charge to
> > do the job. On the later models the manifold should be removed to get at
> > the front cover. This along with a $1.50 gasket should come to about
> > $135.00. So it sounds like with this kit you do it once and forget it.
> >

>   I tend to see it as an unnecessary expense.  Perhaps that's because I
> do my own work.  OTOH, I have built a couple of MG 1800 engines and
> never had a leak from the tappet cover.
>
>   Now, where's some wood to knock on? ;^)
>
> --
>
>   Charley Robinson
>   Kerrville, TX, USA
>   <ccrobins@ktc.com>
>   `69 B Roadster

        I agree, my point was that there are some that cringe at the the
cost of some of the parts for these cars. There are also some that would
rather pay to have a job done. So for $135.00 you can have a mechanic
install a $1.50 gasket or you can rationalize spending this much by
saving the labor charge and doing the job yourself. If in fact the part
never leaked again it may just be worth the big bucks.
...Art