Beefing up

To: buchanan@preferred.com
Subject: Beefing up
From: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@ross.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 01:10:48 -0600
This is a quote from the APT catalogue:

        "Always use a vacuum advance type distributer for any
        road going engine. Todays fuels need that extra
        advance at cruise and idle. If the engine runs too
        retarded the exhaust runs too hot and is more
        likely to burn exhaust valves. Never run over 10:1
        compression with vacuum advance distributor, and
        with todays fuel, 9.6:1 is better."

That said I have run Lucas/SU combo w/ vacuum disconnected. and w/ Mallory
dual-point and Weber combo in MG. WATCH YOUR TOTAL ADVANCE w/ a mech. only
distributor. If in the habit of "timing by feel" you can dial in a lot of
advance and the car "runs real good" but long term effects are detrimental
to you pistons and valves.

I love My 45DCOE but you can ticker w/ one for effing ever! (LBCs are not
like that.) I am going to buy one of  those handy K&N gadgets w/ oxygen
sensor that connects to A/F ratio gauge that can be read from the cockpit.

Any one out there want to share the jet settings.

--
- If we aren't supposed to eat animals than why are they made of meat?
Henry D. Reynolds           hdr@jump.net