Re: Favorite Roads - a bit too long, but worth it!

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Favorite Roads - a bit too long, but worth it!
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 98 10:22:20 -0000
On 25/3/98 9:04 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said

>> Andy's got this almost right.....except don't stop in Sausalito for brunch
>> with all the tourist, go on over to Hwy 1 and just past the road to Muir
>> Beach, you will find an authentic British Pub, the Pelican Inn......stop
>there
>> your your brunch and soak up the atmosphere......seems to make your LBC run
>> better.....the Inn gofer vehicle is a woody Morris Minor.

Years ago I drove from Los Angeles to San Franciso along the coast road.
It was wonderful!! We were in a rented Ford LTD which was far from
wonderful!

Someone suggested taking a detour along the old road which went inland
before an arch bridge was built over an inlet in the 1930s. This turned
out to be no more than a dust track for many miles which tested to Ford's
appalling suspension to the limits. I remember that there was a great
view down to the bridge.

Does anyone else know of this track, or has it now been blocked off? If
it's still there, I highly recommend driving it, but a 4x4 would be
advisable!

BTW. An authentic British pub in California? Umm, the only ones I found
served CHILLED bitter. Yuck! Come to England and I'll show you some great
drives and great pubs. ;-)

Cheers

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk