Re: Dual Exhaust MGB

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Dual Exhaust MGB
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:22:04 +0000

> ----------
> > From: AlexB72 <AlexB72@aol.com>
> > To: Mgs@autox.team.net
> > Subject: RE: Dual Exhaust MGB
> > Date: Thursday, March 26, 1998 4:17 PM
> >
> > Why have exhaust at all, run straight header(s)... And then let us know
> what
> > it was like!
>
> Now you're on to something!!!
>
> Seriously, I just wondered what everybody thought of the idea.  Just
> another one of my twisted little ideas that come up when my Dad asks me
> what I plan on doing with all my spare parts...8-)
>
> Michael S. Lishego

Well, I can tell you what an MGB sounds like with open exhaust.  My
tailpipe broke on Monday, just behind where it goes from two pipes to
one, right under my feet.  The pipe broke into two separate sections,
so it's not a small leak.  The car definately sounds louder, and has
a race-car sound to it, but the 1800 is too much of a small buzz-bomb
to really have a good exhaust note to it with open headers.  I
ordered a factory-stock replacement from Bob at Brit-Tek for $157,
including shipping.  I hope to put it in tomorrow.  That price was
for the donut gaskets, all three pieces of the exhaust system, center
hanger and hardware, rear hanger and hardware, and two pipe clamps
for joining the three pieces together.  Comparing the new center
resonator with the old one, I suspect the DPO damaged the center
resonator some time in the past, and replaced it with one of those
cigar-shaped "glasspack" mufflers.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Scott