Re: Dual exhaust MGB

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Dual exhaust MGB
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:22:05 +0000
> Hello all,
>       Has anyone ever tried to fit a dual exhaust to a stock pre-74.5 MGB?
> Looking at the downpipe from the header, it seems that it merges from two
> pipes into one.  How effective do you think it would be to fit a smaller
> adapter to the ends of the cut-off down pipe, lowering the pipe size to
> about 1.25"?  From there, route the 1.25" pipe to each side of the car,
> adding a muffler to each piece of pipe.  I know it probably wouldn't do too
> much for performance, since in effect we have a 2 1/2" exhaust diameter,
> but the gee-whiz factor would be outstanding.  Other than the time and cost
> that this would take, does anybody have any opinions as to the
> effectiveness of this operation?
> Michael S. Lishego

Michael,
        I hate to play the math geek again, but just in case it will have a
bearing on your decision, I need to point out that two 1.25" exhaust
pipes are not "in effect" a 2 1/2" exhaust diameter.  Since
cross-sectional area is a function of the radius SQUARED, a 2.5" pipe
actually has a cross-sectional area equivalent to FOUR 1.25" pipes.
A pair of 1.25" pipes would have about the same cross-sectional area
as one 1.75" pipe, NOT one 2.5" pipe.

Scott