Re: Dual exhaust MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dual exhaust MGB
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:26:15 -0800
Mike Lishego wrote:

> Hello all,
>         Has anyone ever tried to fit a dual exhaust to a stock pre-74.5 MGB?

Mike:
        I helped build a 63 MGB dual exhaust and have a 68GT V6 with
dual exhaust.  The 63 had twin pipes following the original routing and
used glasspacs.  The sound was incredible, almost a V8 burble.  Biggest
problem now, would be finding small bore mufflers.
        The V6 right hand pipe follows a mirror image of the original.
The wiring and lines were routed inside the car as one of my "better
ideas".  I used Ansa MGB middle mufflers on both sides, angled so they
exit in front of the rear wheels.  I welded a round washers to the front
spring perchs to act as a body mount for the pipe, and use a rubber
strap hanger.  The system has been on the car now for 9 years and has
good clearance.  Unless the wiring and lines are relocated, I cannot
recommend a muffler on the right side.  Too much of a liability.  It may
look great when installed, but after the first couple of speed bumps you
could have problems.  OF mode on.  After playing with home built systems
and fixing cracked welds in the rain, I'm going with a Paeco system on
my daily driver.  It's a known quantity, and nicely reinforced.  Maybe a
 polished stainless tip to make it look pretty.

Kelvin.