Re: Dual Exhaust MGB

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dual Exhaust MGB
From: Daniel Pruett <jpruett@tfb.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:11:29 -0800

Scott Gardner wrote:

> > ----------
> > > From: AlexB72 <AlexB72@aol.com>
> > > To: Mgs@autox.team.net
> > > Subject: RE: Dual Exhaust MGB
> > > Date: Thursday, March 26, 1998 4:17 PM
> > >
> > > Why have exhaust at all, run straight header(s)... And then let us know
> > what
> > > it was like!
> >
> > Now you're on to something!!!
> >
> > Seriously, I just wondered what everybody thought of the idea.  Just
> > another one of my twisted little ideas that come up when my Dad asks me
> > what I plan on doing with all my spare parts...8-)
> >
> > Michael S. Lishego
> >
> Well, I can tell you what an MGB sounds like with open exhaust.  My
> tailpipe broke on Monday, just behind where it goes from two pipes to
> one, right under my feet.  The pipe broke into two separate sections,
> so it's not a small leak.  The car definately sounds louder, and has
> a race-car sound to it, but the 1800 is too much of a small buzz-bomb
> to really have a good exhaust note to it with open headers.  I
> ordered a factory-stock replacement from Bob at Brit-Tek for $157,
> including shipping.  I hope to put it in tomorrow.  That price was
> for the donut gaskets, all three pieces of the exhaust system, center
> hanger and hardware, rear hanger and hardware, and two pipe clamps
> for joining the three pieces together.  Comparing the new center
> resonator with the old one, I suspect the DPO damaged the center
> resonator some time in the past, and replaced it with one of those
> cigar-shaped "glasspack" mufflers.  I'll let you know how it goes.
> Scott

  I can tell you that after putting a 2" exhaust on my 77 B with a FlowMaster
muffler that MG's really sound nice with that kind of set-up.  Nice mellow
sound but with a little roar to her when she takes off.  :-)
Now only if I could find a 77 engine to replace the 74 that's in there......

Daniel Pruett
1977 MGB (since I was 16)  :-)
--
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard
those that think alike than those who think differently."