Re: MGB Starter: Help!

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Starter: Help!
From: Bert Palte <palte@rt.el.utwente.nl>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 98 23:09:27 +0200
>M.P. Trebelhorn wrote:
>>
>> Okay, here's the situation:
>>
>> '70 MGB, intermittent starter failure.

I had about the same symptoms with my 1970 B when I bought it in 1989.

The cause: Incorrect assembly of the starter motor (Lucas M 418) by a DPO or
DPM(echanic).
There is an engaging lever that is actuated by the solenoid and has two
forks at the lower end.
These forks are supposed to move a disk-shaped drive ('bendix') operating
plate forward upon engagement.
Well, both ends of the fork didn't fall on each side of this disk so the
engagement of the 'bendix'was rather random.

After correct assembly, the starter has worked fine now for nine years.

BTW my car was full of this type of assembly errors [and it wasn't even
imported from the States...   :>)  ]

Bert