Re: RS Light Bulbs

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: RS Light Bulbs
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 14:54:34 -0500
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:
>    Is it like the flasher of the turn signals, wherin the current heats a
> spring that pops open the contacts, then closes them as it cools? I have
> never heard it operate, unlike the flasher.

  Yap! Except it's a very small device that operates a lot more
quickly, perhaps explaining why we we don't here it.

>   If so, what sort of open/close rate would it have in order that the
> gauges do not leap up and down on their scales? Over what period of time
> does the thing average the voltage?

  A couple of times a second, fast enough. The gauges it controls are
the kind that move when they are heated, and the amount of heat is
controlled by the sender. In other words, moving them is a very slow
process, think of your fuel gauge when you first turn the key. So
the couple-of-times-a-second is plenty fast.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/