Re: Air Pump Pains

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, MG List <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Air Pump Pains
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 16:47:49 -0700 (PDT)

---Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>       After taking a run home for Easter, I had some time to play with my
'B.
>       My real problem might be my air pump.  After tuning the car, I shut
it off
> while I put my tools away (OK, it stalled.)  Anyway, when I started
the car
> again, my air pump made a hideous howling sound, something the likes
of my
> neighborhood has never heard.  What is the protocol for repair?  What
> lubricants should I use, and if anybody has done this, what steps
did you
> take when taking the pump apart?

Mike,

Welcome to the close-to-impossible-to-fix air pump seized bearing
club. The only real solution is full fledged replacement of the pump
(you'll see why when you open it up-- it's a solid mess). In fact,
bearing seizure is the only real reason why these things ever need
replacement in the first place. But unless you're due for an immediate
smog check, just cut the belt and don't worry about getting a new one
right now. The car will run fine without it. If you check out the list
price on one of these things you might find this a handy solution...

If you're due for a smog check, though, there's no better way of
getting on the DMV's list than by turning up without a functioning air
pump. It's immediate grounds for failure.

Just curious-- how many miles did your 'B' have on it when the pump
failed? Mine went about 95k, on the Golden State Freeway in L.A., on
Christmas Eve. It seized up the whole engine, in fact.

Jim
'74 B