Re: Air Pump Pains

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Air Pump Pains
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:53:47 -0700 (PDT)
---Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu> wrote:
        Thanks for the advice - nobody else gave me any ideas at all.  I've
heard
> that they could be opened up, but I never tried it.

Mike,
I've now heard that John Twist at University Motors rebuilds air pumps
at about $175. Check out his webpage. That's good news, because out
West here it seems we're stuck with list price stuff, and most of the
cores are considered too shot to re-use.

Yeah, it sounds like your bearing is going out--you're lucky you were
static. I don't really know if lubrication will do the trick, or if it
can be done at all at this stage--most of the time they're pretty much
gone by now. It was years ago but I opened mine up and it was all
seized. Truthfully, though... and this might get me in trouble... if
you just cut the belt (or, not to be so brutal, slacken the pump and
remove it-- the belt, not the pump) the car will run fine without the
pump running. I went for ten years doing same, but like I said, don't
let the smog inspectors catch you without a belt...

Jim
'74 B