Re: Tools for B manifold to downpipe flange

To: "'Dan_Ray'" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Tools for B manifold to downpipe flange
From: "Quirt, Dave" <quirt@src.sk.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:27:00 -0600
Dan:

Good luck.

For this job, I have used a 1/2" drive socket set with a 6" and 12"
extension (total 18" for when car is jacked up) and a 6-point deep socket.
The ratchet I use has a 16" handle - great for leverage. The 6-point socket
won't round-off the nuts as quickly as will a 12-point socket. Use of an
impact gun may work but may also shear off the studs rather than undo the
nuts!!

All that said, do everything you can to 'free' the nuts BEFORE you try to
loosen them with the socket. I have variously used heat (from a torch) and
WD-40 (and equivalents) and sometimes BOTH. In the end, all I can say with
respect to these nuts is: sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Dave Q.