Re: Exhaust Systems

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Systems
From: Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 98 10:36:12 +0100
>....I would like to add a free flow exhaust to my car, but as
>far as I'm concerned the noise level of the original exhaust system is the
>limit of what I want to endure (I like to talk to the passenger not yell at
>them).
>  I want to be able to increase my SU intake flow but, all this tells me
>that any full flow exhaust system must be louder than the original system.
> I would like to be able to keep down the noise, preserve the beautiful
>sound, retain the cast iron manifold, AND be able to take advantage of the
>increased intake flow.

Sounds like you want more sound attenuation between the noisy exhaust and
you. The combination of a 20ga. steel panel, some undercoating, and some
carpet might as well not exist as far as the low frequency sound is
concerned. What is needed is:
a) lack of air paths for the sound between the noisy vicinity of the
   exhaust and the cabin interior (those body plugs, like on the gearbox
   dipstick.
b) limp mass on all those acoustically-transparent steel panels.
Something
   like roofing felt, althought the car-audio list types find that the
   proprietary noise damping stuff works better.

Happy wispering.

Douglas McKinnie