Re: "tatty" cars

To: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Subject: Re: "tatty" cars
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 18:47:58 -0500
I have to put in my own 0.02c worth here.  I agree with Ben, driving the
car is where the fun is. I am a 49 yr. old ex.pat. Brit, living with my
Texan husband in the Hill Country of Texas.  We have some lovely roads
here, just suited to driving my modified suspension '72 B.  I like to drive
fast, but I have many more years to drive (I hope) so I'm not silly.  I
love the feel of speed and driving her (ERII) without a top helps me to
enjoy.  I have a hard top for the few inclement weeks we have here, and
don't even bother to put the convertible top on the rest of the year.  My
car is mechanically very sound, we both work on her, but not in pristine
condition.  I have great plans for the eventual cosmetic look of my car,
and it won't be original at all!

         My 21yr. old daughter liked driving my car so much that she has her own
now, and does ALL of the work on it herself.  Maintaining the car is just
part of the fun, and that is why we get to love our cars.  We get to know
their foibles, intimately, and treat them like our pets!

        We have recently purchased a MkII Jag which we intend to be our family
car, but it will never be ERII.  I don't even think about how much money we
spend on her, it is NOT an investment, it is maintenance of my pleasure.  I
expect to keep her for ever!

        How many other sports cars, in excellent condition, could you buy and
maintain for the cost of an LBC, not many I suggest.

        As I said, my 0.02c worth, but mine.

        Mrs. Fisher Jones      Elizabeth