RE: Nostalgic Design

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Nostalgic Design
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 18:24:22 -0700 (PDT)
In reponse to my:
> > "I like Mazdas, but the Miata?? I don't get it. It's so apparently
> > inferior to a 'B' that it seems unarguable..."
Several Listers have commented.

I agree that the Miata is more maneuverable than a B or a Healey, and
that it corners better at high speeds, but I think handling is so much
more than that. I was looking forward to driving one but came away
disappointed at its lack of solidity. In fact, the owner of the Miata
in question drove my 200,000 mile B and was really quite chagrined at
the difference: The Miata just seems tinny and cheap by comparison.
And those sightlines out the windshield... there's no excuse for that
lack of a completely clear view of the road. The Miata's not that nice
looking to warrant almost a third of it protruding into the bottom of
your road view.

Also, in the early 90's there were lots of Miatas on the roads here in
So. Cal., but now, where are they all? When I bought my B new in 74 it
was said that they last great for the first 36,000 miles, then fall
apart. That was true, but falling apart on a B didn't mean much. I'll
give the Miata 100k for the same, but because the consequences are so
much greater for their deterioration (and more expensive), I doubt
we'll have very many high mileage examples in 30 years. I found the
Miata a very uncomfortable car to drive. It maneuvers deftly, but so
does a Mini; I'm curious just what part of "British Roadster" its
designers were emulating, or how many they had driven.

Jim
74B