Re: Trivia Alert

To: laner@teleport.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trivia Alert
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:30:53 EDT
In a message dated 5/09/98 9:19:41 AM PST,  laner@teleport.com writes:

<< The only other thing I could think of is that it seems like one of the
 sprite coupes was running a five speed. But that wouldn't fit into the late
 50's...

A winner!  I misled you a bit, I suppose, with late 50's, though that is when
they were developing it as far as I know.

They took an MGA CR box and cast an extra lump on the side for a 5th gear. As
far as I know they only used them in the competition Sprites.

As you are in Portland, Stan Huntley would probably be able to give you
chapter and verse on them. Stan is an old friend and worthy opponent. His
green Sprite with rather large capacity killer engine is about even with me
when I run my crossflow pushrod motor at flat tracks like Portland, but much
to his disgust, when we ran places with hills like Laguna Seca, it was like
someone had grabbed the back of his car and held it while mine, with
substantially more torque, motored happily up the hill. Bugger usually was
back harrying me in the next corner, though.

Bill S.