Re: MGB ANSA exhaust Installation

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: MGB ANSA exhaust Installation
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 11:48:39 -0600
Dan Ray wrote:
> Charley,

 Big SNIP

> The other challenge will be to figure out a "pad" or something where the
> damn thing is rubbing up against the "anti-roll link" ball end, that's a
> leak/rust spot waiting to happen.

  SNIP

> Dan

  Goodonya, Dan.

   One thing:  My pipe doesn't come within two inches of the rear shock
link or the rebound strap.  I can't figure out how yours does.  Did you
by any chance install to the hangers so that the assembly is offset
toward the outside of the car?  I know it's a PITA but if you did you
really should move it over a bit to the right.  Anything you put in
between will surely fall out in a short time and need to be corrected
later.

  When I put mine in I noted that there's an indentation in the sheet
crossmember in the left center of the floorpan.  The pipe is supposed to
run below that indentation.  I hung the headpipe from the manifold with
the nuts a bit loose and aligned the pipes below that indentation, with
a jack to hold the front joint in place.  Then, with the entire assembly
hung loosely on the hangers, I made sure the headpipe was square to the
manifold, loosely installed the headpipe support at the bell housing and
tightened the nuts at the manifold/headpipe joint.  Then I tightened up
the support/hanger bolts and lastly tightened the C-clamps.  Done this
way, nothing's in a bind.

  I'd advise you to check your installation again.  If the headpipe
isn't square to the manifold, the exhaust donuts will burn out
periodically.  You already know what a PITA replacing those is.  If
there is a misalignment at that joint it could explain why you're having
trouble getting that last nut started.  After all, the nuts you have
came off of there to begin with.

  My .02 and I hope it helps.

  Cheers,
--