Re: Low Compression Reading (longish)

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Low Compression Reading (longish)
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:58:14 +0000
On Fri, 15 May 98 10:12:33 -0500, dereck.carey@cdsi.com wrote:

>     Since everyone is going on about compression I thought I would
>     continue the topic and ask a little advice.  Yesterday I went out and
>     purchased a compression gauge and put it to work.  The readings I
>     received where 20-20-40-60 on my 70 B.  This is the reading received
>     from a car that has been sitting for 2 months.  Not good huh?  This
>     would probably explain why I am getting little vacuum from the front
>     SU.
>
>     I purchased the car about 2 months ago.  At that time it was pretty in
>     good condition.  I drove it three hours from the place I purchased it
>     to its new home, all without a hitch.  I then drove it 3 or 4 short
>     trips, to work and out to eat.  At which point I decided to do a
>     little maintenance.  The previous owner had the car for 13 years and I
>     don't believe he had changed a line or gasket in all those years.  I
>     replaced the fuel lines, filter, etc...  Then I took her out a couple
>     more times.  This is where all the fun starts...not!  The float bowls
>     failed and I started seeing a 3-4 inch puddle of antifreeze on the
>     ground after shutting her down.  Disappointed, I decided to get
>     industrious and to make an even longer story short I have since
>     rebuilt the SU's, replaced the all gaskets from the manifold to the
>     airfilters, statically timed, gapped the valves, and replaced the
>     water pump.
>
>     Now the bugger will not start!
>
>     My plan is to remove the head this weekend and have it serviced next
>     week.  Does it seem like just a valve problem or rings too?  If this
>     is not a lead free head (don't know), should I have this one machined
>     to lead free and/or ported and polished, or buy another head?  Any
>     suggestions where I might have it serviced here (DC area) or send to
>     reputable servicer?
>
>     Dereck

Before pulling the head I think I would try to resolve some of the problems.
Expecially if the
car ran well not too long ago.  Otherwise you could end up spending a lot of $
and still not have a
running car.

You don't mention if you are getting a spark or not, or if you have re-adjusted
your carbs.  I agree
that your compression readings are a problem.  You may want to make sure your
valves are set correctly
and that you are testing with your carbs wide open, and all of the plugs
pulled.  (This would still only
account for about a 10-20 point difference, but it is important.)  You can also
try the oil in the cylinders
trick to see if your rings are good.

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com