Re: Nostalgic Design

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:08:08 -0800
>Anything that is unusual will probably be memorable - I don't think a 1998
>Toyota Tercel would be worth much in 20 years though! =)

Okay the Tercel I don't find that exciting... but sitting in my garage I
have an old Austin A55. At the moment it's not running and I'm not sure
that I have the time and money to deal with it. Anyway it was just an
everyday car of the mid fifties, nothing flashy. But looking at it now I
see a funky little sedan that has some style. A couple of cars that would
be a closer parallel to the Tercel would be a 2CV or a Mini, you can't tell
me these cars don't have followings!

Around this part of the world (Portland, OR) it sure seems like the late
60's and early 70's sedans have come back into style. As a rule I wouldn't
say they are the most exciting cars on the road. Today I saw three Ford
Falcons on the way to work, I personally don't get that excited about
them.... Now the round tailed alpha spider, with the top down, that I saw
is a whole different story.

Who knows maybe car designs will get even more boring and the Trecel will
be some strange cultural icon? I doubt it but....