Re: Nostalgic Design -Reply

To: j_carlile@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design -Reply
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 04:25:47 +0000
> Have you ever driven a Miata? It's unbelievable the hype that people
> have comparing it to, say, an MGB.
> I expected a neat car, and I was amazed at the difference. The
> sightlines out the windshield, for one, are AWFUL.
>
> Jim
> '74B

Okay, I was going to let this "sightlines out the windshield" thing
pass, but would you like some cheese with your whine?  I don't know
about *YOUR* 'B', but mine has this stupid kludge of a steel bar
cutting the windshield in half, and while I don't have to look at my
bonnet while I'm driving, I *DO* have to develop X-ray vision to see
traffic lights when I'm stopped with the top up (it does rain
occasionally here in VB, so the top's not ALWAYS down.)  And this is
with a driver's seat foam that resting on the floor.  God help me
when I get the seats rebuilt!  No car is perfect, and if your'e going
to continously harp about being able to see the hood from the
driver's seat, well, you're looking for nits to pick.  Drive one for
six months and see if it still bothers you.  Eighteen months after
having my 'B', I *still* can't see stop lights unless I stop twenty
feet back from the intersection.
Scott
P.S.  Don't even get me started on the Rube
Goldberg/mousetrap/origami folding top on the MGBs, either.  I drove
a 50's Porsche the other day that had the same
undo-the-latches-and-toss-the-top-behind-you ease of use that the
Miata has, so don't tell me that MG couldn't have come up with
anything better in 1962, or later, when they redesigned the tops.