Sports cars and "Sporty" cars

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Sports cars and "Sporty" cars
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:46:05 -0400
As I understand it, the way the term used to be defined, a sports car COULD
fetch groceries.  Again, this is my understanding, a "sports car" is one
that could be used as a daily driver, and could also, with moderate
preparation (say, what could be accomplished on a Saturday morning and put
back on Sunday evening), race competitively in some class or form of
motorsport.

Enzo Ferrari once said that "The only American sports car is the Jeep."
 Think about it, that seems to fit the above definition.

So, it seems to me that true "sports cars" are somewhere between a pure
race car and a coupe that handles well and/or can go fast.

The Camaro/Firebird/Mustang don't qualify because by the time you make one
competitive, it's no longer a street vehicle.  (Unless you want to count
SCCA Solo II, which also has classes for Station Wagons and Minivans!)  ;^)

There you go my (and my Dad's) $0.02

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net

>I have an on going argument with the guys at work. I insist that the
Camaro,
>Firebird and Mustang are properly called sporty cars or sport sedans. A
sedan
>can not be a sports car, no matter how fast it is. Alas, even General
Motors