Re: Sports cars and "Sporty" cars

To: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>, "Chris Kotting" <ckotting@iwaynet.net>,
Subject: Re: Sports cars and "Sporty" cars
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 19:44:48 -0400
Nice thought, Bob...

>We just like our LBCs as they are anachronisms from an earlier era and
there
>is great pride of ownership in that our simple minds and tools can keep
>these simple cars on the road.

Along this same thread, the qualities that made a sportscar 30-50 years ago
wouldn't cut it by today's standards (i.e. who would buy a new MGF with
snap-on windows, other than an enthusiast?)  I think it's related to the
current car battery thread.  Yes, car batteries and the definition of the
sports car are tied together by a common bond:  They get better (or more
advanced) as technology advances.  With technology advances comes an
expected level of comfort over previous models and forms.  For example, I am
perfectly comfortable in my MGB, but my new girlfriend sees it as another
old car  - there's no cupholders, AC, and it probably leaks.  She's used to
her '92 Prizm that she drives around.  That's ok though, she's cute and she
understands what it's all about.

As it was said in the classic yet outdated musical "Li'l Abner", "Progress
is the root of all evil."  8-)   (Personally, I don't think progress is
evil, it just requires alot of paradigm shifting to keep comfortable.)

Brit car week has been OK for me, I saw a nice white BGT driving south on
I-95 on Sunday.  I was about an hour south of DC...Anybody own this car?
Yesterday, I saw a nice early, white, roadster sitting in Latrobe, a car
I've never seen before...Cool...

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/