Help... alternator seized

To: mg <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Help... alternator seized
From: Andrew Errington <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:57:21 -0700
Hi all,

well, for the last couple of days my B has had a new noise.  It sounded
like a water pump failure about to happen, so I thought, ah, it's happened
before (on my GT) and I have some time to get spares and do the job at the
weekend.

Not so!  I drove to work this morning and the noise got slightly worse, so
I opened the bonnet to have another look whilst it was running.  Sure
enough the noise was coming from the front of the engine.  Could it be the
water pump?  I thought so, but wait, could it be the smog pump, hmm, oh,
maybe it's the...

...and as I watched, the alternator pulley seized and stopped, then the fan
belt screamed as it slipped on the now motionless pulley.

Oops.

Oh well, I have seen some suggestions on cheap alternator suppliers.  NW
Imports have them for $99, Moss for, ahem, $154.65 (+$20 core charge), any
other offers?

I suppose I cannot now drive the car, which is a bummer, still, at least I
know for sure what is wrong.

All help gratefully received,

Andy
--