Re: Rusty floor

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, richard.arnold@juno.com
Subject: Re: Rusty floor
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 10:11:04 -0500
The problem with using a patch of metal different from the original floor
is that you set up 'dissimilar metals corrosion' which can be much more
agressive that regular rust. Has to do with the electron valances (sp?)
being different for the two metals (the original steel and the new
aluminum), I think. Regardless of the cause, I've seen it in cars and
airplanes. In this instance, your aluminum patch will probably corrode
pretty quickly. Not the end of the world, but when you replace the aluminum
patch (heck, could be years from now), try using a steel plate if you can
get it. I did the aluminum patch thing with an old VW. Only lasted a year
in Rhode Island.

Jeff

> Mark:
>
> >>... I ended up cutting out the center section (leaving a 2"
> >>inch lip) and riveting in a piece of aluminum.  Later,
> >> when I have more time and money, I'll replace the floorpan
> >>with a welded-in piece.
>
> >Reminds me of the car I looked at last year that had been repaired as
> >you describe with Real Estate Signs.  Free (at night) and usually
> >painted well.  Maybe you could even sell advertising space!
>
> Gotta love it -- I did use much heavier gauge aluminum, but heck, if I
> sold ad space I could get the new floorpans paid for in no time....
>
> Course, the only ones that would see it on the bottom of the car is
> roadkill and the neighbor's nosy cat (which will probably end up being
> one and the same....).
>
> Rich

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/