RE: Oil Cooler Cleaning

To: "'Matt Kulka'" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>,
Subject: RE: Oil Cooler Cleaning
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 16:10:43 -0500
When I used to work on VW's, I used to thoughtlessly run some solvent
through the old oil cooler and slap it back on the motor.  Having had a
second look at the MG cooler, I noticed that it's inlet and outlet are
on the top.  To me that means there's a veritable Fort Knox of old crud
laying in the bottom.  I'm thinking about what that's going to do to my
sparkling new bearings, and clean, smooth oil passages.

I priced a new 13-row cooler at around $90.00 (US).  So my question is:
Has anyone found a really great way to clean out the old cooler and
reuse it?

Do you have a parts washer with a pump (i.e. Safety Kleen or the like)?
If so, turn the cooler so that the inlet and outlet are on the bottom
and rig up a hose where you can pump through the inlet and let the
outlet drain back into your solvent tank. Leave it running for as long
as your heart desires - should do the trick.

Dan Pockrus
'74 MGB - my son's prized possession
'61 VW panel bus - my daily driver