RE: Oil Cooler Cleaning -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Oil Cooler Cleaning -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:31:51 -0400
Yesterday I asked:

>Has anyone found a really great way to clean out the old cooler
>and reuse it?

And the answer really turned out to be...

No.

Tom, just for clarification, this is a '74 B, not a 74-1/2.  The oil
cooler sits in front of the Radiator.  Can you use the later hoses, and
change the mounting position?  I'll have to check that out when I'm
putting it back in.  Dan, that's how I used to clean out my VW oil
coolers - in a Safety-Kleen parts washer.  Used to leave them there for
a few hours, just pumping solvent.  Rick, Mike and the rest, I won't
scrimp the $90 at the expense of my motor.  I'm at about twice the
budget I'd planned in the first place, but that's because I'm not
cutting corners.  I'll be ordering the new oil cooler this afternoon.

Again, thanks to all.  The help on this list is irreplaceable.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - definitely my most expensive child.