Re: First-time welder!

To: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: First-time welder!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 12:41:09 -0400
Art Pfenninger wrote:

>         No relation between arc and oxy-acetayne. But if you get good with
> the torch then you won't need the arc welder. For most everything you do a
> torch will work and will not destort the metal as much.

  I *HIGHLY* disagree with this. (and I've got the burns to prove
it!)

  MIG welding is a lot cooler on the metal than torch welding,
especially
on the surrounding area.

  Compare the Heat Affected Zone (HAZ) on a MIG weld to a torch weld,
and it's fairly clear. The metal discoloration from a MIG weld on
sheet metal is usually confined to a half inch or so on either
side of the bead. With a torch, you get that much of the area
red hot and the discoloration goes much farther.

> For those without a torch welding shops sell brazing rods that can
> be used with propane.

  Are you my DPO? ;>

  Brazing is acceptable for some cosmetics, but I wouldn't dream of
doing sills with them, it simply isn't as strong. (not to mention
the fumes, which rules using it out in a lot of shop environments)

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/