Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 10:25:51 -0500
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> After pulling out the pads on the driver's side I found a blue sticky
> substance spread thinly and evenly over the entire back of both pads. A tiny
>amount also had gotten on the lip of one of the pistons.  What the heck is
>this stuff and should it be there?

Philip,

The blue stuff IS the antisqueal compound. It is spread on the steel
side of the brake pads and provides a cushioned, adhesive to prevent the
pads from high frequency chatter. It should contact the rim of the
piston on the one pad and the support casting on the other.

> Lastly for now.  To check the master cylinder push rod to ensure that
> pressure can be relieved when I release the brake pedal and therefore not
> cause my brakes to bind, I assume I have to drain the brake fluid out
> completely first.  Not good enough to just suck it out of the reservoir -
> this would leave too much fluid in the area of the push rod, no?
>
> Thanks a million for all the help.  I've stopped for the moment until I
> understand the mystery of the blue sticky substance.

If the Midget is anything like the "A", then the brake pedal is attached
to a forked casting via a pin. The M/C side of the casting is threaded
and the pushrod screws into it. The pushrod goes between the fork and
the piston inside the master cylinder. A locknut is there also. The idea
is to loosen the locknut and pushrod until there is just the hint of
free movement between the pushrod and the Master cylinder piston. Work
the adjustment back and forth while feeling for free movement at the M/C
end. Alternatively, you can check at the junction of the Pedal and fork.
Try it, You'll see what I mean. Then loosen futher about 1/2 turn and
tighten the locknut.

No need to drain the M/C as you aren't working with the wet side, Just
the mechanical linkage between the pedal and the M/C

Chuck Schaefer