Re: FYI - Just a reminder...

To: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Subject: Re: FYI - Just a reminder...
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:34:19 -0700
Ben Ruset wrote:

> >" Even the badge engineered ones" !!!!!!!!!!
>
> I was referring to the Metro, Montego, and Maestro, actually. =)
>
> BEN RUSET
>  http://members.home.net/bruset
> The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring         http://mgbhaven.home.ml.org
> 1978 MGB Tourer / 1989 Mercury Cougar

Ben,

I was not having a dig at you, but at the 'term' used. You actually make
my point with those particular models. All had engines especially
developed for them;-

The MG 1300 Metro's 1275 'A' series was the 'A-Plus' version, with the
Cooper 'S' camshaft, and produced 72bhp, instead of the 62bhp of the run
of the mill Austin version. The Turbo was 93bhp. Both had their own trim
and fittings.

The Montego/Maestro range began with a special version of the 'R' series
of engines, quickly re-developed into the 'S' series with a better
cylinderhead and more power. Because this redeveloped 'E' series from
the Maxi was a poor choice, they all had the improved 'O2' series
fitted, also with a turbo. That 'O' series engine was from the MGB of
1973, that Aston Martin of Newport Pagnell were going to use if they had
purchased the name MG in 1980...........

You see, you cannot just throw a tag at a model, ALL MG's had special
bits fitted, and USED bits of other cars as well. The MMM cars are as
much MG's as the original Midget, ITSELF a rebodied Morris
8hp..................off I go again.

Neil.