Re: MGB Tube ?'s and window seal stuff

To: Mike Lishego <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB Tube ?'s and window seal stuff
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:48:29 -0400 (EDT)
        I consider tube changes a DIY procedure mainly because I don't
trust garages to do the work. The only tools needed are two tire irons.
Moss sells them but you can make a set from an old car spring. If the tire
is on the car you will need to break the bead. To do this remove the valve
stem and let out all the air. Next stand on the tire and shoot some
dishwashing soap along the bead. Then either continue jumping on the tire
untill the bead breaks or nail a 2x4 between the studs in your garage
about 8" off the ground. Then put the tire on the floor about 3 feet from
the wall and place a block of wood on the tire, next put a length of 4x4
from the stud wall and past the tire, use this as a lever and jump on it
to break the bead. Clear??? Once the bead is broken turn the tire over and
break the other side. The tire does not have to come off the rim but needs
to be free on both sides. Work the tire irons just as you would if you
were replacing a bicycle tire. The most inportant think is to make sure
that the tube is not placed in backwards. NOte which way the valve is
pointing and point it in the direction of the hole in the rim. Using
plenty of liquid soap the job should go easy. As far as the window seals,
they are held in with pop rivits and are easy to replace. What is
difficult is to get a nice straight line. Save you old ones so you know
how long to cut the new ones. Good luck with it.
...Art