Re: Stupid owner tricks

To: pbailey@qnet.com
Subject: Re: Stupid owner tricks
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 23:42:28 EDT
On Wed, 5 Aug 1998 07:24:54 -0700 "Patrick Bailey" <pbailey@qnet.com>
writes:

> [...]
 WHile in college I made my party and drinking money by working for a
local Motorcycle dealer.
 One young customer, a real nice kid, had worked his little butt off and
saved his money to buy a nice used Ducati 350. Boy was he proud of that
bike!.
 Well, one day he comes into the shop with the bike on the back of his
dad's pickup, and the kid was about in tears. The engine had seized.
TIGHT!. I couldn't get it to turn over no matter what.
 Could we fix it?  Yeah, but we won't know what's involved til we get
inside the engine.
 OK, I'll get the money somehow.
 Owner to me: "Find out what's wrong and get him out as cheap as
possible, but the best repair you can"
 Pulled the head and there was the problem. A valve has broken off at the
stem base, and imbedded itself half in the piston crown. Only 5 small
knicks in the combustion chamber, and not a mark on the valve seat!.
 I put a good used piston in, a new valve, used the dremel tool to
smoothe the nicks in the head, put is back to gether an the kid rode the
bike for the next 3 years or so.
 We kept the piston with the valve head on the counter as a paper weight

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget