Re: Thought for the day ... about hats

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Thought for the day ... about hats
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 07:36:31 EDT
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:17:50 -0400 "Mike Lishego"
<mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu> writes:

>I think the whole problem stems from the mentality that "Newer is
>ALWAYS better."  No matter how many parts I've replaced on any old car,
>some people it will always be second rate.

We know otherwise don't we....... I spent this evening driving around in
the 1953 Riley
Ive been working on with a friend - its the furthest ive driven in this
one - just a few short trips before due to a now solved fuel starvation
problem(common or garden dirt as it turned out!)the speedo doesnt work so
i dont know what stately speed i was cruising at but i dont think it was
ever more than 45 - As i drove i thought that perhaps i ought to get a
hat.....naaaaah
The car was treated with an enormous amount of respect by other motorists
-
EVERYONE let me go first at intersections, heads turned at most corners
and i generally felt quite the centre of attention - and this is a car
that hasnt had anything "new" in 22 years, including the polish!(I fear i
may own this soon.........)
So maybe the conventional wisdom is that new - or VERY old is ok - its
middle aged thats second rate - and we know thats bollocks too since i
roared up I84 in the GT at 90 at the end of the evening to collect my
daughter - no damn pickups gonna pass that middle aged baby!!!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster
s**t eating grin from a pleasant evening