Re: Marina Carburetors

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Marina Carburetors
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:45:19 -0700
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> OK, OK, I know a Marina isn't an MG but, hey, they share much of the same
> engine as an MGB.............So, here's a question for anyone (esp. our
> English listers) who is familiar with Marinas (Austins or Morrises).
>
> I have a manifold that is reputed to come from a Marina. It is like a 63-74
> MGB exhaust manifold with a cast-in intake manifold log which is set up to
> take a 4-bolt mounting single carb. It appears this carb was about a 1-3/4"
> throat (I've also heard 44 mm).
>
> Can anyone confirm if Marinas originally had Zenith Strombergs or SU HIFs?
> What needles would either carb have been fitted with? If the carb. was an
> HIF, can anyone tell me where to get one (used but rebuildable preferred.)
>
> 75 -80 MGB manifolds are so scarce now (in un-cracked condition) that I'd
> like to try and develop a smog-legal setup using the Marina manifold, if I
> can find enough of them and get them carbureted correctly for a late MGB.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lawrie
> British Sportscar Center

The only difference mechanically between the MGB 1798cc and Marina
1798cc engine is...

The crankshaft of the MARINA is a 'flow-casting' not a forging as in the
MGB. Forged ones are stronger, and more expensive.

Otherwise the Marina TC is IDENTICAL to the MGB, even the same BHP,etc.

You have a Matina 1800 single carb manifold, known as the 'log manifold'
and used a lot to reduce fuel consumption on MGB's. It should have
fitted a SU HS6 if it is from the 'B' series engine, ( later Marinas had
the 1700cc 'O' series, a 'B' series with a single OHC...with a SU HIF6.)

The HS6 needle should be a BCW, spring loaded...

            BUT....

The Export Marina 1800 single carb model had the SAME Zenith 175 CD5T of
the Californian MGB, ( 1975 on cars with a catalytic converter.Zeniths
are still called 'Strombergs' over here.))

Both the SU HIF6 and the Zenith CD used a four bolt mounting, probably
on the same monifold. The HS6 is just two bolt fixing, BUT at an angle
where they will fit two of the above four bolt holes.

Only source of new carbs of this type in the UK is Burlen Fuel Services,
who actually re-manufacture the old SU items.

Neil