Re: Rear suspension suspected

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear suspension suspected
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 09:37:18 -0700
Gary A. Graham wrote:

>My B has a tendency to move to the right with throttle & left when off the
>throttle. Is this caused by the rubber pads in the rear springs? (I just
>replaced the left spring .. .)

Well, it can be all sorts of things.  First, as Mike Robson
pointed out, make sure it's not anything blatant.  Usually 'Bs rear
spring location atrophies thusly:  the rubber pads smash and grow old,
allowing the u-bolts to be a little loose, allowing the rear axle to
wiggle and smash the pads even worse, along with eating up the
u-bolts.

That's why I suggested in the earlier post that anyone changing these
bits should also replace the u-bolts, they are usually worn and
rusty, and you'll run a big risk of breaking them when tightening
everything down.

The rear of my 'B has lowering blocks, nylatron shackle bushes,
and nylatron spring pads.  It's ok, but it does transmit a bit
more road feel than a lot of folks like.  Someday I'll get serious
and experiement with composite springs and the like.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/