Distributors

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distributors
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:56:38 EDT
<<Hello:  I replaced my wobbly distributor with the Mallory dual point unit
and it is great, great, great.  Easy job, but you do need a drill press to
attach the drive dog (get a new one).  This is really good 200 bucks to
spend on your engine.>>

Sorry, I disagree.
You could get the same result cheaper by re-bushing and rebuilding the Lucas
distributor, and you wouldn't have any problem finding ignition parts.
The actual difference in performance, despite the claims of the Mallory ads
is, by our actual testing, nada, zip, zero.
The only reason that people swear that they are great is that the original
that they are replacing is usually so thrashed that _anything_ would be an
improvement.

Bill S.