Re: Distributors

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributors
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:19:33 -0500
From: WSpohn4@aol.com <WSpohn4@aol.com>

><<Hello:  I replaced my wobbly distributor with the Mallory dual point unit
>and it is great, great, great.  Easy job, but you do need a drill press to
>attach the drive dog (get a new one).  This is really good 200 bucks to
>spend on your engine.>>
>
>Sorry, I disagree.
>You could get the same result cheaper by re-bushing and rebuilding the
Lucas
>distributor, and you wouldn't have any problem finding ignition parts.
>The actual difference in performance, despite the claims of the Mallory ads
>is, by our actual testing, nada, zip, zero.
>The only reason that people swear that they are great is that the original
>that they are replacing is usually so thrashed that _anything_ would be an
>improvement.

If you only want a single answer, join a religon.

Here is another vote for the Mallory Dual Point. Mine is running just great
on my 3-liter C motor and I wouldn't trade it for a Lucas or one of the
electronic gizmos. I find the distributor well made, easily adjustable, easy
parts availablility, and a great period performance accessory.

Everyone goes gonzo replacing or rebuilding the moving parts on their cars
or in their engines but they seem to ignore the key role the dizzy plays in
engine performance.
I have no idea were Bill lives but around my neighborhood I have had nada,
zip, zero luck finding the pieces parts for rebuilding a Lucas dizzy nor a
shop with expertise to do it.

For fairly stock motors, the dual-point is available with vacuum advance.
For hotter motors you have easily adjustable initial and total advance with
their mechanical-advance only models.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"Electronic ignition works perfect until it dies. It dies without warning.