Re: Distributors

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Distributors
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:09:14 EDT
In a message dated 22/09/98 10:16:05 AM EST,  boballen@sky.net writes:

<< So, Bill, what might be the relevancy of your turgid racer clique stories?

Turgid? Clique? What happened - someone turn you down for a racing license?

The referenced 'story' was this -

>As for parts availability, my friend with a race car would disagree - when
he had the Mallory foul up at the track, there were no available parts at
any nearby store, and of the dozen or so BMC cars running that weekend, none
of them had a Mallory to offer spares. <<<

If any of that comment on parts availability is unclear to anyone but Bob, let
me know and I'll try to rephrase it in words of one syllable

<<say Bill, as you seem to have been the appointed relevancy expert,<<

I was?? Oh, wait a minute, I see what you are on about! By making it appear
that I have appointed myself as some sort of expert rather than just a list
member offering information from experience, and by making up little imaginary
stories to ridicule what I have said, you are attempting to discount the
factual content of my post.
Clever devil! Glad I noticed that.

I don't know you, Bob, nor whether you were just having a bad day (been
there), or are an irredeemable waste of time. I'll give you the benefit of the
doubt and hope its the former, and that we can look forward to interesting
future discussions about cars.

Getting back to the original subject, distributors, I have one more rather
interesting and puzzling event to relate. On my MGC, I once had an electrical
failure that stopped the car while running. I thought that the points had
closed down (one reason that I use an Ignitor device in my race cars, by the
way), and it took me a fair bit of cranking and head scratching before I
determined that the drive dog had sheared off the bottom of the distributor. I
just took the guts out of the 6 cylinder one and installed them in a 4
cylinder housing I had, and was on my way, but it was the first time that I
had ever had that particular problem. Has anyone else experienced this , and
if so did they ever determine what was going on? I would have thought that the
oil hole on the side of the distributor would be sufficient to keep the shaft
lubricated, but perhaps not.

Bill S.