Re: Distributors

To: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison), WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Distributors
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:16:25
At 06:13 PM 9/22/98 EDT, Rick Morrison wrote:
>Bill, just where did the drive dog shear off? was it just above the dog,
or where.  I've never had that particular thing happen, nor had I heard of
it before now.  My concern is that given the age of our cars, and the
components therof, it may be something I should be taking a closer look at
when ever I have a distributor out for whatever reason. ....

$.02 here.  The most likely place for a distributor drive dog to break
would be at the thinnest section, either side of where the pin goes through
that holds it on the shaft.  Most likely place for the distributor drive
shaft to break is also at the thinnest section, right at the hole where the
dog retaining pin passes through the shaft.  If you see a crack anywhere
near these places, see how far you can throw it, and install a new part.

Barnay Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and enough broken engine bits to fill a trophy
shelf)