Re: True or False

To: <VretroW@aol.com>
Subject: Re: True or False
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 17:02:50 -0500

>At 07:49 PM 10/4/98 EDT, someone wrote:
>I have been commuting in mine for seven years (with a year and a half
>off for major restoration.  I do keep another car for the months when
there
>is snow or salt on the roads or for the days when it is seriously
raining.

>If you maintain the car properly and fix things correctly when they
break,
>an MGB can be quite reliable.  Incidentally,  parts for my MG run
about
>half the cost of comparable parts on my '86 VW.

I agree with many that the MGB can very well be a reliable car, IF it
is maintained very well.  This may very well mean a full restoration
of the car.  Components that may seem adequate at the beginning may
fail after the rigors of daily use.  For the newbie mechanic, who is
getting wheels for the first time, I would seriously recommend a
second vehicle.  When I got my first MG, back in the old days (early
1990s), I was blessed to have my reliable Toyota truck to haul me to
school.  This allowed me to take my time with my MGB, doing the job
right, and also providing plenty of time for me to get a good
mechanical understanding of the car.  Time is a great asset, but can
be a hinderous as well, when your MGB becomes a garage queen, of sorts
(it never leaves the garage).
In addition, it is almost imperative that you own, or have access to
good quality tools.  Too many jobs can get ruined when you don't have
the proper tools.  Proper tooling may be mean screwdriver, hammer, and
open-end wrenches, but many times will be more on the order of: air
compressor, sockets, wrenches, various pliers, and a good work
surface.

Sure MG parts might be half the cost of comparable parts for other
makes, but how many times have you purchased junk taiwanese crap from
Moss, etc. .   It's all relative fellas.   And that junky radiator
hose, you thought was a great deal, turns out to be just the opposite,
when you have to replace it two years after you got it.  Moss radiator
hoses are crap, or mine was just a botched piece of rubber.  My '65 B
has what appears to have an original upper radiator hose, whereas the
two year old hose on my '70 B is totally shot.

Jay
BTW, have roller '65 B for sale.  Great for restoration.  Email for
details.