Re: MGB engine on the rise (was Re: MGB dead engine report.)

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Subject: Re: MGB engine on the rise (was Re: MGB dead engine report.)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 18:09:41 -0400
PHILIPPE TUSLER wrote:
>  OK, I'll admit it: I'm impressed.  The question remaining is: is it
> worth it to avoid removing the engine, renting a hoist and a stand?

  Renting a hoist has one major flaw, and that is that you
have to work to it's schedule.

  Around here, they rent them by the day for about $40. Doing the whole
job in a day would be a lot of work, and would potentially
involve a compromise or two.

  I did the job this week over three days. That gave me a day
to pull everything, decided what needed to be renewed, and
to order them. Places like UAP can get what you need overnight.

  So basically to do it in one day you'd need to buy everything
you think you might need, have it ready, then pull everything. Every
problem that comes up, like a broken stud, starts to actually cost
money as the hoist bill grows.

  A hoist isn't STRICTLY required though, if you want the engine
out. If your garage has a suitable beam, you can use a ratchet
hoist on it to lift, then roll the car out of the way and put
a solid table underneath the hoist.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca