Re: Caliper Rebuild Frustration *#@$*

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Caliper Rebuild Frustration *#@$*
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:17:04 -0700
Skye Poier wrote:

> Word on the street is that Mark Snowdon said:
> > When I did my Calipers for the Sprite, I just laid a piece of steel bar(
> > the lock strap for my tool chest) across the dust ring that i had placed
> > in position. With one sound tap of a hammer to the center of the bore,
> > it seated the ring perfectly. nothing fancy, but it works.
>
> I've seen several suggestions regarding tapping the CENTER of something
> laid across the bore - this seems impossible unless you have the two halves
> of the caliper apart, and I'm sure I read somewhere that the calipers
> are not meant to be disassembled.... ?
>
> Skye
>
> --
> 1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__
> The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)

The real story on that is that when you separate the two halves, you
must replace the o-ring between the halves. This is not difficult, but
making sure everything is very clean is. Can't imagine installing
pistons without taking apart, must be hellish.

Mark Snowdon, the kind of guy that just has to disassemble things that
say,"Do Not Take Apart"